Book of Abstracts, Reports and Videos on Speeches, Presentations, Workshop & Panel Discussion
Book of Abstracts
Welcome speech and Chair: Dr. M. Ibrahim Khalil, Coordinator (CRAES) and Convenor (ISCRAES 2022)
- Dr. Pippa Hackett, Senator and Minister of State for Land Use and Biodiversity, Ireland.
- Mr. Tom Arnold, Chair, EU Commission’s High Level Expert Group on Food Systems Science, Ireland
- Prof. Rattan Lal, Distinguished Professor of Soil Science, Ohio State University, United States of America.
- Prof. Maria J. F. dos Santos, Scientific Advisory Board Member, OECD (Introduction of the OECD-CRP: Sustainable Agricultural and Food Systems).
Chair, Plenary Session: Dr. M. Ibrahim Khalil, Founder Coordinator/Convenor, ISCRAES.
- Prof. Roslyn Gleadow, President, Global Plant Council and Head of Plant Science, School of Biological Sciences, Monash University, Australia.
- Dr. Anne Mottet, Livestock Development Officer, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Italy.
- Prof. Dave Frame, Professor of Climate Change, University of Canterbury, New Zealand.
Arable Cropping Systems
Chair: Prof. Astrid Wingler, University College Cork, Ireland.
- Francesc Domingo Olivé, Judit Vallverdú, Ivet Caballé and Elena González Llinàs: Soil characteristics as affected by slurry and derived products application on a Mediterranean rainfed winter crops rotation.
- Preeti Bharti, Ellanie Cabrera and Sheetal Sharma: Digital tools: Helping farmers to manage crops and reduce GHG emissions through timely and site-specific advisories.
- Ágnes Szepesi, Henrietta Kovács, Péter Pálfi, Lilla Sípos, Dominik zabó et al: Hypusination and salt stress in tomato: a metabolic post-translational modification by polyamines and hypusine
- Anjali Chaudhary, Ajay Kumar Mishra and Sheetal Sharma: Direct Seeded Rice for resource conservation and GHGs emissions reduction in Odisha, India
- Sara Berzuini, Federica Zanetti, Erika Facciolla, Angela Vecchi and Andrea Monti: Using cash cover crops to improve soil coverage in rainfed Mediterranean farming systems.
- Pia Gottschalk, Aram Kalhori, Zhan Li, Inge Wiekenkamp, Chrisitan Wille et al: Monitoring cropland carbon dioxide exchange with high resolution satellite imagery
- Warren McAuley, Kate Congreves and Maryse Bourgault: Intercropping’s Effect on Soil Health on the Canadian Prairies
- Monika Wesołowska, Piotr Baranowski and Marzena Mikos-Szymańska: Ammonia emission measurements after application of urea-based fertilizers in wheat crop.
- Ruth Wade, Gesa Reiss, Pippa Chapman, Steven Banwart and Lisa Collins: FixOurFood: The impact of regenerative farming on soils in Northern England.
- Tamara I. Franco-Grandas, Jose J. Santiago-Freijanes, Nuria F.-Domínguez, et al: Analysis of the agroecological transition in Spain.
- Anna Walkiewicz: Methane uptake in fertilized soils – effect of NH4NO3 at different soil O2 levels
- Aldo Dal Prà, Maria Teresa Pacchioli, Alessandra Imm-ovilli, Paolo Mantovi, et al: The use of near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) in the prediction of soil carbon stock in Northern Italy cropping systems (AP2)
- Xavier Morvan, Belkacem Boumaraf, Victor Kavvadias, Mohamed Moussa, et al: ISFERALDA project: Using organic amendments based on date palm residues to enhance soil fertility in oases agroecosystems (AP3)
- Chronis Kolovos, George Zagklis, Gerasimos Tsitselis, Stamatis Kavasilis, et al: A modern way for delineate soil mapping units using latest geospatial technologies. (AP4)
Chair: Dr. Lutz Merbold, Agroscope, Switzerland.
Prof. Maria R. Mosquera-Losada, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain: Agroforestry – European extent, policy and climate change.
- Rachel Irwin: Increasing tree cover on Irish dairy and drystock farms: the main barriers and perceptions that impede agroforestry uptake.
- Francisca Meneses, Nicole Montenegro and Jorge Perez-Quezada: Changes in agricultural practices in southern Chile and their effect on greenhouse gas emissions
- Stamatis Kavasilis, Maria Doula, Antonios Zorpas and Leonidas Cambanis: Composting of animal mortalities – A sustainable solution for the agro-silvo-pastoral systems
- Julien Carlier, Marie Doyle, John A. Finn, Eoin Gill, Daire O Huallachain, et al: Developing a National Monitoring Programme for High Nature Value Farmland and Forest areas in Ireland.
- Gerardo Moreno, Alejandro Carrascosa and Victor Rolo: Investigating below ground growth of forests on high pH soils and marl sites: Emerging trends in adaptive management of Mediterranean tree-grass livestock systems: monitoring pasture… and soil carbon sequestration.
- Jill Pitcher Farrell, Nicholas E. Wragg, Blair Ruffing, Saoirse Tracy, Charles Harper, et al: Investigating below ground growth of forests on high pH soils and marl sites.
- Victor Rolo, Alejandro Carrascosa and Gerardo Moreno:Impact of ecological intensification of Mediterranean wood-pastures on carbon fluxes and functional diversity.
- Donagh Hennessy, Laurence Shalloo and Imke DeBoer: The environmental consequences of addressing feed-food competition from Ireland’s livestock sectors.
- Rachael Murphy, Gary Lanigan, Matthew Saunders and Nicholas Cowan: Carbon monoxide fluxes from an intensively managed grassland using eddy covariance.
- Mokhele Moeletsi and Mphethe Tongwane:Crop-livestock-bioenergy system for mitigation and adaptation to climate change in a rural smallholder farming setting in South Africa.
- Pasquale Arca: Incidence of silvopastoral paddocks on the environmental performances of Sardinian dairy sheep systems (SP9)
- Ghanashyam Sharma, Mahindra Luitel, Kalzang Nyima and Durga P Sharma: Reviving drying water sources through aquifer-centric approaches based on geolithological and geohydrological study in the E. Himalayas (SP10)
- Bruce Osborne, Ibrahim Khalil, Katja Klumpp, Bart Kruijt, Pia Gottschalk, et al: The ReLive Project (SP11).
- Donagh Hennessy, Laurence Shallo, Imke de Boer: Incorporting silvo-pastoral production in an optimised circular food system: Options to reduce GHG emissions.
Novel Farming Systems
Chair: Dr. Sanna Sevanto, Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico, USA
Dr. Pete Iannetta James Hutton Institute, UK-NI: Novel farming systems and value-chains: Home-grown legumes as a multifunctional solution for wicked problems.
- Ghanashyam Sharma: Evidence of critical climate stress moments and climate-resilient practices along the Teesta River Basin of the Himalayas
- Kelsey R. Carter, L. Turin Dickman, Abigael C. Nachtsheim, et al: Drought legacy on microbiomes influences maize traits
- Frances Sandison, Jagadeesh Yeluripati and Derek Stewart: Does vertical farming offer a sustainable alternative to traditional crop production?
- Jagadeesh Yeluripati, Pete Smith, David Camerond, Elizabeth Cowdery, et al: Towards agricultural soil carbon monitoring, reporting and verification through real-time carbon and GHG predictions for net zero.
- Antonis V. Papadopoulos, Stavros Kosmidis, Stamatis Kavasilis et al: Monitoring agricultural land biodiversity with multispectral aerial imagery.
- John McGinley, Mark Healy, Jenny Harmon O’Driscoll, Paraic Ryan, et al: An assessment of potential pesticide transmission, considering the combined impact of soil texture and pesticide properties: A meta-analysis.
- Jane Shackleton, Jean Kennedy, Cornelia Grace, Gaspard Beaucarne, et al: Grazing multispecies swards: The annual and seasonal dry matter production of four sward types under co-grazing of cattle and sheep.
- Gaspard Beaucarne, Jane Shackleton, Jean Kennedy, Cornelia Grace, et al: Multispecies swards improve the growth performance of lambs co-grazed with heifers.
- Vanessa Álvarez-López, Katarina Lorentzon, Serina Ahlgren, Andras Baky et al: Life Cycle Assessment of novel grass-based products.
- Jizhong Meng, Ruoke Li, Lin Shi, Shun Wang and Xinmin Zhan (Flash): Feasibility analysis of electrodialysis technology for nutrient recovery as fertiliser from digestate in Ireland.
- Sanna Sevanto, Kelsey R. Carter, Eric R. Moore, Abigael C. Nachtsheim, et al: Can plant-microbiome interactions be harnessed to support food security and carbon sequestration?
- Y. A. Mohamed, Alma Siggins, Mark Healy, Owen Fenton, et al: A Novel Hybrid Coagulation-Intermittent Sand Filter for the Treatment of Dairy Soiled Water (NP16)
- Ajay Kumar Mishra, Sheetal Sharma and Abdul Mateen: Evaluation of Regenerative Farming Practices for Enhancing Crop Productivity and Reducing Environmental Footprint (NP17)
- Paola Quatrini, Valentina Catania, Simona Castaldi, Eleonora Grilli, et al: Patterns of soil microbial biomass and diversity across Mediterranean agroecosystems in areas under desertification risk (NP18)
Chair: Dr. Narasinha Shurpali, Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke), Finland.
Prof. Klaus Butterbach-Bahl, KIT, Germany & Aarhus University, Denmark. Nitrogen cycling, hotspots and the mitigation of environmental losses in tropical savanna systems
- Anaïs Piccot, Giovanni Argenti, Gianni Bellocchi, Pascaline Brien, Edoardo Cremonese, et al: Adaptation policies and measures to cope with climate change in Alpine mountain farming.
- Lena Barczyk, Kate Kuntu-Blankson, Pierluigi Calanca, Johan Six and Christof Ammann: N2O emissions from grazed pasture – Effect of urine patch characteristics and environmental drivers.
- Rob O’Hara, Jesko Zimmermann, Mohana Priya Logakrishnan and Stuart Green: Production of a national Irish paddock map for enclosed intensive grasslands.
- Francesc Domingo Olivé and Elena González Llinàs: Optimizing grass production with dairy manure from precision animal feeding.
- Marine Valmier, Matthew Saunders and Gary Lanigan: Warmer autumn temperatures triple carbon losses from an Irish grassland on drained organic soil.
- Daniel Henn, James Humphreys, Colm Duffy, Rémi Prudhomme, James Gibbons and David Styles: Climate implications of dairy expansion and beef co-production displacing suckler beef production in Ireland.
- Pierpaolo Duce, Antonello Franca, Pasquale Arca, Giovanni Molle, Alberto S. Atzori, et al: Climate change mitigation strategies for the small ruminant sector. Insights from the SheepToShip LIFE project.
- Patrick Quille, Aisling Claffey, Ewan Feeney, Joanna Kacprzyk, Carl Ng and Shane O’Connell: The effect of an engineered biostimulant derived from Ascophyllum nodosum on grass yield under a reduced nitrogen regime.
- Owen Cashman, Marion Sorley, Imelda Casey and James Humphreys: Lowering greenhouse gas and ammonia emissions from pasture based dairy production.
- Lutz Merbold, Charlotte Decock, Werner Eugster, Kathrin Fuchs, Benjamin Wolf, et al: Are there memory effects on greenhouse gas emissions (CO2, N2O and CH4) following grassland restoration?
- Hem Raj Bhattarai, Petra Manninen, Saara Lind, Perttu Virkajärvi, Hanna Ruhanen, et al: The role of red clover-a forage legume, in mitigating nitrous oxide emissions from a perennial grassland.
- Narasinha Shurpali, Hem Raj Bhattarai, Daniel Forster, Petra Manninen, Saara Lind, et al: Sustainability of boreal, mixed crop and livestock farming under changing climatic conditions.
- Paul Leahy, Astrid Wingler and Kieran Hickey: Increased severity and frequency of fodder production deficits under future climate conditions in Ireland (GP5)
- Ian Byrne, Patrick Tuohy, Mark Gerard Healy and Owen Fenton: Building drainage systems for the future: How drainage material selection plays an important role in optimal system functionality (GP7)
- Daniel Gyamfi Opoku, Patrick Tuohy, Mark Gerald Healy, Owen Fenton, et al: Artificial drainage nutrient loss risk classification system for grassland farms to inform future mitigation management (GP8)
- Maria Teresa Pacchioli,Aldo Dal Prà , ,Alessandra Immovilli,Paolo Mantovi, Fabrizio Ruozzi ,Francesco Ferrero ,Giorgio Borreani ,Ernesto Tabacco: The use of near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy
(NIRS) in the prediction of soil carbon stock in Northern Italy cropping systems.
Decision Support Systems
Chair: Dr. Roland Kröbel, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Canada.
Dr. ir. Sander Janssen, Wageningen University & Research, The Netherlands: Decision Support in the Digital Agriculture Era.
- Marion Sorley, Imelda Casey, David Styles, Pilar Merino, Henrique Trindade, Martin Mulholland, et al: Lowering the carbon footprint of milk production: a life cycle assessment of European dairy farms
- Francisco J. Rodríguez-Rigueiro, José J. Santiago-Freijanes, ….. and María R. Mosquera-Losadaet: Key performance indicators to foster grass-based business innovation in European rural areas (GO-GRASS)
- Jens Leifeld and Sonja Keel: Quantifying negative radiative forcing of non-permanent and permanent soil carbon sinks
- Olatz Unamunzaga, Óscar Del Hierro, Ana Aizpurua, Ana Pilar Armesto, Marta Goñi, et al: LIFE AGROGESTOR, a digital platform ecosystem for on-farm best crop decision in fertilization, irrigation, GHG and economic assessment, with sustainability objectives
- Elizabeth Cowdery, David Cameron, Pete Smith, Matt Aitkenhead, et al: Assessing greenhouse gas predictions with accessible tools for on-demand model-data synthesis: The Predictive Ecosystem Analyzer (PEcAn)
- Roland Kroebel, Sahra J. Pogue, Aaron McPherson & Pamela Mantle: Canada’s whole-farm model Holos, the National GHG inventory applied to the farm-level
- Deepak Upreti, Rowan Fealy and Tim McCarthy: Terrain-AI: Platform for the estimation of the crop growth, water and CO2 fluxes from Irish Croplands
- Daniel Forster, Jia Deng, Matthew Harrison and Narasinha Shurpali: Evaluating GHG simulation performance of DNDC in a boreal grassland setting.
- Andrea Parisi and James Moran: Potential of acoustic indices to assess the biodiversity level and effectiveness of conservation strategies in corncrake breeding areas.
- Kate Kuntu-Blankson, Lena Barczyk, Christof: Simulating nitrous oxide emissions from cattle urine patches using the ecosystem model ecosys
- Sofia Tisocco, Paul Crosson and Xinmin Zhan: Mathematical modelling of a full-scale biogas plant co-digesting cattle slurry and grass silage
- Maria Jose Martínez-Sanchez, Salvadora Martínez-López, Lucia. B. Martínez-Martínez, et al: Facilitating the decision-making to minimize the climatic change impact on a semi-arid zone: results of the AMDRY-C4 LIFE PROJECT. (DP12)
- Úna Sinnott, James Breen and Dominka Krol: Irish Farmers’ position on GHG Emissions: An insight into representation, perceived trust and worry (DP13)
- Anna Siedliska, Piotr Baranowski, Jaromir Krzyszczak and Grażyna Supryn: Estimation of plant nutrient status based on hyperspectral data and machine learning (DP14)
- Mohammad I. Khalil and Bruce A. Osborne: Whole farm modelling for quantification of greenhouse gases and mitigation-related land use planning decisions (DP15)
Carbon Farming and Nature-based Solutions
Chair: Prof. Paola Quatrini, University of Palermo, Italy
Dr. Jean Baptiste Dollé French livestock institute, France: Carbon farming and result based solutions, an innovative scheme for boosting carbon initiatives and developing sustainable agriculture
- Pasquale Arca: Role of soil carbon sequestration in sheep farming systems. A life cycle assessment case study
- Simona Castaldi, Marco Bijl, Raphael Bueno, Elio Coppola, Paola Quatrini et al:Evaluation of benefits and limitation of a Desertification Adaptation Model framework of sustainable land management for areas under desertification risk
- Yuqiao Wang, Sonja Paul, Markus Jocher, Christine Alewell and Jens Leifeld:Effect of mineral soil cover on 14CO2 and N2O emissions from agricultural drained peatland
- Isabella Ghiglieno, Ilaria Minardi, Luca Tezza, Andrea Pitacco, Leonardo Coppo, et al:LIFE15 ENV/IT/000392 LIFE VITISOM: sustainable management of vineyard soil to reduce GHG emissions
- Poppy Overy, Dolores Byrne, James Moran, Frances Lucy and Patrick Crushell: Co-benefits for biodiversity and hydrological integrity from a results-based agri-environment scheme, the Pearl Mussel Project
- James Moran: Challenges and opportunities for upscaling and out-scaling locally adapted results based agri-environmental payments systems in Ireland.
- Óscar Veroz-González, Rafaela Ordóñez-Fernández, Jesús Gil-Ribes, Gottlieb Basch, et al:LIFE Agromitiga: Development of climate change mitigation strategies through carbon-smart agriculture.
- Caren Jarmain, Thomas Cummins, Antonio Jonay Jovani-Sancho, Tim Nairn, Alina Premrov, et al:Soil organic carbon stocks for afforested soils in Ireland.
- Helena Vanrespailleand Annemie Elsen:From fundamental science to application: how to motivate farmers into carbon farming
- Sofia Biffi, Pippa J Chapman, Richard Grayson and Guy Ziv: Planting hedgerows in England as a Nature-based Farming Solution for climate, biodiversity, and hydrology.
- Maria Teresa Pacchioli,Elena Bortolazzo, Roberto Davolio, Luca Filippi, Daniele Galli et al: Carbon farming application in a group of mountain dairy farms on the Emilian Apennines. First results of LIFE18/CCM/IT/001093 agriCOlture (CP19),
- George Zagklis, Stamatis Kavasilis, Maria K. Doula, Chronis Kolovos, Antonis V. Papadopoulos et al: The carbon footprint of three olive orchards under different agricultural practices in the Mediterranean Region (CP20),
- Pietro Iavazzo, Filiberto Altobelli, Andrea Martelli, Mariagrazia Piazza, Lorena Verdelli, et al:Voluntary Guidelines for sustainable soil management: an Italian experience (CP21)
- Gemma Chiaffarelli and Ilda Vagge: Validating NBFS contributions to agrobiodiversity values through a multi-scale floristic, vegetational and landscape monitoring approach (CP22)
Panel Discussion (Sponsored by OECD-CRP)
Prof. Bruce Osborne (UCD, Ireland) (Moderator)
- Prof. David Laird, Iowa State University U.S.A: Biochar’s impact on soil Carbon sequestration and sustainability of crop residue harvesting for bioenergy.
- Prof. Roslyn Gleadow, Monash University Austrilia:Biodiversity and resilence of agro-ecosystem functions for enviromental sustainibility.
- Dr. Anne Mottet,Food & Agriculture Organizations of the UN, Italy:Integration of livestock with various land uses for reducing the carbon- footprint.
- Dr. Ben Henderson, Agricultural Policy Analyst,OECD, France:Policy strategies and challenges for climate change mitigation in agriculture and AFOLU sector.
- Prof. Daniel Rasse, Norwegian Inst. of Bioeconomy Research,Norway:Carbon farming and nature-based solutions for GHG offsetting
- Prof. Maria Mosquera, University of Sandiago de Compostela, Spain: Agro-Forestry for mitigating greenhouse gas emissions and resilience of agricultural farming.
- Dr. Carles Ibanez Marti, EURECAT, Spain: Towards a carbon neutral and climate-resilient rice cropping systems.
- Mr. Liam Brennan, Dept. of Agriculture, Food & the Marine, Ireland : Agricultural measures and policies for climate change mitigation.
- Mr. Tim Cullinan, President, Irish Farmers Association, Ireland: A farmer’s perspective on how to make agriculture carbon neutral.
- Dr. Marta A. Alfaro,Instituto de Investigaciones Agropecuarias-INIA, Chile:Mitigation options for greenhouse gases from Latin American grazing systems.
- Dr. Orjan Berglund, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden. Is it possible to reduce GHG emissions from cultivated peat soils while maintaining productivity?
Workshop (Sponsored by ReLive Project)
ReLive Project and ISCRAES Teams (Facilitators)